Black, White + Aqua

I’m feeling pretty rusty at this blogging thing! I’ve written so many blog posts in my mind in the month (wow!) since I last logged in, but there always seems to be something else more urgent to do. And frankly, at 33 weeks pregnant, I have a shortage of energy to expend.

Black and Aqua

This quilt is the result of my first online bee. I asked for square in square blocks, thinking that I might cut them up for a bento box style quilt or leave as is. When I got all of the blocks back in the mail, I decided to do a bit of both. Half of the blocks were quartered and re-pieced with teal strips in the center to make up for the loss of seam allowances – and to add a jolt of color, too. I played with the idea of using something contrasting like yellow or lime green, and kind of wish I had now.

Dimensions: 54″ x 54″

Fabrics: Tufted Tweets by Laurie Wisbrun, Flea Market Fancy by Denyse Schmidt, Ta Dots from Michael Miller, Darcy by Anna Griffin, Woodland Delight by Paula Prass, and many others

Started:November 2010

Completed: August 2011Black and Aqua

The back is a mix of prints used on the front plus two blocks that didn’t make it in time to go on the front.

It’s nice to have this one crossed of my WIP list, and I am pretty happy with the results. It’s definitely a departure from my normal color palette and aesthetic, but it was fun to try something new.

Comments

1. KellyS says:

This is stunning! Right up my alley with everything, color, pattern… just gorgeous! I love how you cut up some of the blocks but left others be. Pinning to my ever growing bucket list.

2. Cille says:

I really like it but then I also have a soft spot for aqua and bento. Well, cool colors in general I think 🙂 I just finished a very different aqua and bento quilt.

3. I really like it. The cut blocks with strips are a great idea.

4. randi says:

this is beautiful! i really love those colors!

5. Jennifer G says:

Ooooh! The design on this turned out fantastic. So visually interesting with a simple color palette and the black & white edging really frames it all perfectly. Excellent work!

6. nicke says:

oh it is lovely. i love that idea.

7. Jeannette says:

wow it is stunning! I love the fabric combinations too!

8. That quilt is amazing. Love the design, love the colours and the backing is such a good idea too. I wouldn’t mind one like that.

9. Dawnmarie says:

It’s absolutely gorgeous! Love the color combo just like it is. It’s incredible.

10. I love this color scheme!! Gorgeous quilt.

11. singingmama says:

ooohh gorgeous! Love it!! That is one lovely quilt, the colours are so striking together!

12. Nicole says:

Those colors are beautiful together. I have always labeled myself as a more “Traditional” quilter even though I am only 24 years old….but this is stunning and I think that I am going to have to try something modern! Just beautiful.

13. Janet K says:

This is gorgeous!! They are some of my favorite colors together!!